Welcome back to Niakwa Country Club for the 2019 golf season. The Turfcare team is excited to get this season going and look forward to the golf season ahead. Read More>>
Weekly Course Update
Date: April 9 to April 15, 2019
- Welcome back to Niakwa Country Club for the 2019 golf season. The Turfcare team is excited to get this season going and look forward to the golf season ahead.
- This weekly update will provide membership with information on course conditions, projects and what to expect for the week ahead throughout the season.
- The Turfcare team has been busy building the staff for the season ahead.
- Accessories and equipment continue to be serviced and prepped for the season ahead.
- Health and Safety programs have been updated.
- The golf course standards document has been reviewed and has received some changes. This will be posted online for the membership to view in the near future. The main change to the standards is our focus which starts with our greens then works out on the golf course from there.
- Some projects that will take place this spring include the replacement of both the bentgrass and bluegrass nurseries. We will also be constructing a new forward tee on the first hole while it is closed. There are two temporary greens left to sod back to bluegrass on hole 1 and 18.
- Early indications are that we had a good winter. Some of the poa on the greens is beginning to set back a bit with the lack of snow remaining and the cool overnights we are experiencing. If we can get some help from Mother Nature and achieve seasonal day time highs and overnight lows we should be off to a manageable start.
- Covers will remain on the greens over the next 7 to 10 days. The covers provide a greenhouse affect which heats the greens surface. We will remove covers during some of the warmer days to allow direct sun light and replace the covers on cool evenings to retain as much soil heat as possible.
- We have removed the flax straw cover from the putting green. We will look at removing the flax from greens 3 and 10 later this week.
- As soon as we can get a sprayer on the greens we will apply some liquid fertility and fungicide to assist in having a positive spring start.
- We will be setting up the range for use. Stay tuned for the opening day on the driving range. When the range opens we will be using mats for the foreseeable future. Please respect and stay off of the turf.
- The range fence will be installed on Saturday April 27th.
- As we begin to bring back staff general preparations of the course will begin including debris cleanup, removal of snow fence, rebar and prep for the first cuts of the season.
Shawn Major, AGS